Mice and other Sydney pests can stay active all winter long. Some Sydney pests that would normally go into a low-energy state can be very active in a home with available food sources. It’s never too late to keep pests from driving you crazy.
- Put your food in hard plastic containers. This is the single, best way to keep inactive overwintering pests from becoming active overwintering pests. Many pests will go into diapause during the winter months. This is a low-energy state where their body begins to eat its own fat stores to get energy. This is why you’ll see those pests frozen in place or slowly creeping through your curtains during the winter months. They are conserving energy. If you get them something to eat, they will be happy to scurry instead of creep, and happy to dive bomb on your forehead and temples. Keep your stored food in hard plastic containers and give those pests less to eat.
- Don’t leave food out. Winter pests that find a stack of dishes with tasty morsels on them will be happy to stay in the common areas and to actively drive you nuts. Always leave a sink full of soapy water and soak your dishes until you get around to washing them. Not only will this keep pests from having a feast, it will make your dishes easier to clean when you get around to it.
- Don’t leave your rubbish uncovered. This is a food source and breeding ground for pests. Always seal your rubbish whether it is inside or outside. And refrain from getting one of those rocker lids. Wheelie bin lids do not keep flies out and they tend to prop open when the rubbish gets full. If your house is like mine, you probably don’t have any proactive rubbish removers. It is usually only when the rubbish is piling up over the brim that something gets done about it. Get a can with a pedal that lifts the lid up for you, or one with an easy button.
- Keep things clean. Crumbs on the rug are a feast for a bug. Vacuuming regularly and keeping the counters free of spills and sticky residue will keep those pests from climbing down from the attic or out of your wall voids into the living spaces.
- Schedule a visit from a Sydney pest control company. Get a jump start on those pests and rodents and prevent spring infestations before they begin. Or if you’ve got pests that snuck in this past fall, Sydney’s home pest control pros will identify the problems and set you on a path towards a pest free home.
Winter pest control is essential for those living in the Sydney region. Eliminate food sources and be proactive about preventing spring infestations, and you’ll have one less headache to worry about. Wouldn’t that be nice? Call us today or visit our website